Sunday, August 17, 2008

One Year Ago

It was almost one year ago to the day that David, Blake and I went to Beijing, China.  Watching the Olympics has brought back so many of those memories.  It's so much fun to watch the special segments they do on China and to have it be familiar.  We were there for 8 days and truly fell in love with Beijing.  
One of the best things about being there with Blake was all the attention he got.  People just ate him up.  We were stopped all over the place while people tickled his toes and tried to get him to smile.  I wonder if having the Olympics there is going to change the way the Chinese look at foreigners coming to their country.  I hope it never becomes commonplace for them to see blond babies.  I'm sure the novelty will eventually wear off, but let's hope it's not soon.
One thing that I'm sure Michael Phelps is not eating in his 12,000 calorie diet are the delicacies of the Wangfujing Night Market.  I'm sure they all would pack plenty of protein, but I have a feeling the gag factor might kick in and you'd loose all the calories you were trying to load up on.  We never actually ate any of the funky food (scorpions, seahorses, maggots, etc), but if I had to pick something to eat out of all of them I think I would've opted for the grasshoppers....at least they would've reminded me of the pioneers or something.

Didn't Emma have to eat grasshoppers on a stick at least once?  I'm betting she'd be just fine in China.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Those grasshoppers are HUGE!!!!! I don't think i would have eaten ANYTHING! I can't believe that trip was a year ago.