Monday, November 24, 2008

For Noell (and other Masaman fans)

I told my friend Noell that I'd get this recipe to her, and since I've had a few other people ask for it, I'm posting it here.  This is a favorite at our house and at my brothers as well.  The recipe I'm including will easily feed a family of 5-6!  Enjoy!

The ingredients for Masman (Masaman, Musaman, etc) are fairly simple.  Chicken (can be made without), coconut milk, masman paste, potatoes, cashews, and the secret ingredient (a TBSP or two of sugar).  You can add more vegetables (onions and carrots) depending on what you like. I've found that red potatoes work well because of the extra flavor.  

Cut up two chicken breasts and cook in a skillet.  Set aside.

Cut into bite size and boil roughly 10 red potatoes (or 3-4 regular potatoes)

Put two cans of coconut milk into a pot and heat on medium.  Add approx. 1/4 cup masman paste (this is where it gets tricky....if you like it spicy add more.  Each time I make the curry it ends up tasting a little different depending on how much of the paste you put in).  It takes a while for the paste to break up, but make sure that it's all smooth or you'll have one heck of a spicy bite if you get too much paste clumped together!)

Put in two TBSP of regular sugar.  This tip was given to my brother by the owner of Thai Village in Orem.  It seems to make all the difference.

Add potatoes, chicken and 1/2 cup of cashews (I like the salted ones from Costco).  

Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes to let all the flavors mix.  

Serve over rice.

You can find the coconut milk at most grocery stores in the Asian cooking section.  
The masman paste might be a little harder to find.  We buy ours at Chao's in Provo, but I know you can find it at other places as well.  Just look for an Asian market in your area and they should carry it.  
Happy Cooking!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

that sounds so good!!! i'll try it.

akelly said...

Thai chili garden here we come!!!! (Or that other Thai place in AF). And if you can make it in one pot, you are better than Mike. I actually told him he doesn't HAVE TO use every pot that I have!

Noell-Hyman said...

Thank you, Molly! I love curries, and I LOVE anything with coconut milk.

So how different is the paste from blend of curry spices? I make my own curry blend and I'm wondering if it would be so bad to just use it if I can't find the paste????

Molly said...

I have no idea what a "blend of curry spices" would do....I just use the paste. I'm a wimp with trying out something other than the "recipe" though. I guess if it's Masman spices it could work? Let me know how it turns out!