Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tour de Donut


The Tour de Donut was today.  I'd been contemplating doing this race for a while, but then found out I was pregnant and kind of wondered how I'd be feeling 9 weeks into growing the little spud.  Turns out I felt great and had a wonderful time.  I wasn't in the race to win (I ever so graciously left that spot for my friend Jen Moore--I'm sure she'll write about the race in her blog), but I wanted to do something to feel proud of myself and my recent weight loss accomplishments before I start seeing the scale creep up again due to baby #4.

The premise of the race is to do three 7 mile laps stopping twice to eat as many donuts as you want.  For each donut you eat you get 3 minutes erased from your total race time.  The option was given not to eat a single donut, and that was the route I took.  I actually thought about it during lap #2...."do I want to eat a donut?  does it even sound good?  nope, it doesn't."  
David came to take photos of the event and the kids enjoyed it as well.  They were cheering me on and it was fun to see them each time I lapped around. As you can tell it wasn't a very serious race for me as I stopped to actually talk to my kids and fix the song selection on my ipod.
Above is my favorite photo of the day.  I actually look like I might know what I'm doing.  And below is me pedaling into the finish line.  I did 21 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Not exactly speedy, but then again I finished 112 out of 240....so at least I wasn't last, although that kid with training wheels was giving me a ride for my money!  I love how in the photo you can see the bikes from other bikers who are already done and have put their bikes up.
It was a fun day and I'm glad I did it.  

2 comments:

Natalie said...

That looks like so much fun! I'll race you next year!

Jenn said...

I'm glad you did it too!