Friday, June 20, 2008

Tom Wopat vs. Joe Penny

Tom Wopat


Joe Penny

A funny thing happened on the way back from a family trip to Cabo San Lucas.  My entire side of the family was waiting in the airport and we all saw who we thought was Luke Duke (from Dukes of Hazard).  David was not so convinced.

We knew it was him....all of us, except for aforementioned David.  We kept telling him, "yes it is David," to which he kept replying:  "No, it isn't.  I don't doubt that it's someone famous, but I just don't think it's Luke Duke."  

At this point I was getting annoyed that David wouldn't be swayed by the other 11 people there.  I mean we were all positive.  I told him that I would prove it to him by going over and asking the man who he was.  David said that was fine, but he knew that I'd be proved wrong.  I was SO sure that I told him I'd bet him having another child that it was Luke Duke.  To which David's reply was "you're on."  At this point I got a little nervous (David's wants a gazillion kids and I'm not so excited about that many diapers in my life).  

So off I went.  I approached the man and said:  "Excuse me, but my husband and I have a bet going that you are Luke from Dukes of Hazard".  The man smiled and said, "No, I'm not.  I'm Joe Penny.  The guy you're thinking of is Tom Wopat and he is about 30 pounds heavier and 10 years older than me".  OUCH!  I was wrong and I insulted him!  I wasn't going to go down without a fight however and I told Joe that he just HAD to come and tell my husband that he was Luke Duke so I could save face and win the bet.  I think Joe had mercy on me.

He did it.  Joe Penny (from Jake and the Fat Man) came over to David, shook his hand, and said, "I'm Tom Wopat".   My entire family was smirking and thinking they were all so smart because David was proved wrong.  Joe walked away, I mouthed the words "Thank You" to him and that was that.  

(sidenote here:  David read this post and reminded me that even after Joe told him that he was Tom Wopat, David STILL did not believe him....he didn't say so to Joe/Tom, but he told me that he just still didn't think it was who he said he was.  Damn that man and his convictions!)

My gloating and glory lasted for about a half an hour.  As soon as David was out of earshot I told my entire family what had truly happened.  They couldn't believe it.  Not only did I make the poor man lie but I totally tricked David out of a bet!  And even though my family told me I shouldn't say anything,  I couldn't help it and told David the truth when we got on the plane.  

This is my subtle way of telling you all that I'm pregnant.  I lost the bet.  We will be having #4 in February.  Never let it be said that I wasn't good on my word (or that David doesn't stand by his convictions).  

6 comments:

jenni said...

OMG! Tom Wopat may be a few years older but is as buff as he was on Dukes!!!!! He has a huge career on Broadway with 2 Tony award nominations. Joe who.........

Jenn said...

That's funny! I think that even tops your good news minute last week in Relief Society. Congrats on the coming baby! You're a great mom.

Unknown said...

That is SO funny! I'll make it a point never to bet getting pregnant with Jason. He always wins everything. Congrats on the upcoming baby!

akelly said...

that is a great story! I could just see David sticking to his guns no matter what anybody else was saying! Was this before or after the great 'punch' at the hotel? He he he.

Natalie said...

That is awesome...You are fearless! Congrats on the new baby! I love your blog, you always keep me smiling.

Tavia said...

Glad to get the rest of the story. Too funny! That was very kind of Joe.