Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beads



There is this wonderful market in Beijing, China called the "dirt market".  If you ever get to China you must go to this market.  There was a store there that had THOUSANDS of beads.  The first picture above is just one wall of the shop.  It was so overwhelming to me that I walked into the store, took photos, and left.  I didn't buy any beads.  I think that is my biggest regret about going to China...how could I go into that shop and not buy some beads?  I look at these photos now and am still kicking myself. 

My other regret is that I completely flubbed up the day trip we had to see the TerraCotta Warriors by mis-calculating the dates on the train ticket.  It was an overnight train ride and I was basing the date on the arrival, and not the departure.  Stupid mistake which really threw us into an adventure while in Beijing, but it ended well and we got to spend two more days in Beijing which were some of our favorite days there.

2 comments:

Blogging to Blog said...

Last month I went with my mom to the "Gem and Bead Show" at Southtown Expo. I was overwhelmed too. Rows and rows and rows of beads. My mom makes jewelery, but I don't. Cool stuff though! The beads in China were probably cheaper too!

Tavia said...

Wow! I could spend all day in there and not decide what to buy! I love building bracelets, necklaces and earrings. So very cool...maybe one day I can go to China. So glad to hear you enjoyed your time.