Friday, May 23, 2008

Molly's Sweat Shop

I finished up with about a hundred bags this week.  This is what they look like sitting on my counter after I've put in the snaps, but before I've sewn up the bottom of the lining.  There are 6steps to making the bags and this is step #5.  Step #1 is my least favorite (cutting out the fabric), step #2 is just boring busy work (sewing the lining and label to the fabric), step #3 is probably my favorite (when you join the backing to the front fabric and it looks like a bag), #4 is fast (putting the fringe on the top of the bag), #5 is putting in the snaps (that actually ends up hurting my fingers if I do too many bags at time), and #6--sewing up the lining.  
There you have it.  My business in 6 easy steps.  I haven't actually counted, but by the ordering of snaps that I've done I can estimate that I've made over 5000 bags so far.  
That made my mind/body ache just thinking about it.  I am my own sweat shop.

1 comment:

Tavia said...

Who knew you would come this far with your first idea of making a bag? Very cool!